"The name Aquebogue was first applied to the entire area of the Aquebogue purchase. Later, it was attached to the ancient village now called Jamesport. After the development of another settlement a few miles to the west, the new community was called Upper Aquebogue, and the older one was called Lower, or Old, Aquebogue. The original Jamesport was not laid out until 1833 on the Bay. By a curious shift of names, Jamesport became South Jamesport, Lower Aquebogue became Jamesport, and Upper Aquebogue acquired for all time thereafter the ancient name of Aquebogue."
South Jamesport was founded as Jamesport by James Tuthill in the early 1800s who wanted to make Jamesport a major shipping port. Naming the town after his first name in 1833, Tuthill laid out streets, constructed houses and built a dock, only to learn the water was too shallow for cargo ships at low tide. Jamesport can be traced back to 1690 as settlers came to build their homesteads.